1895. Samuel Engle’s father William was one of the original four land donation claimers that settled the four corners of Molalla. The large two story house on South Molalla Avenue is of the classic revival style. It has narrow shiplap siding with rake and fascia boards. There is an enclosed rear porch with sun porch above and hip roof front porch.
The Dr. Elmer R. and Cora Todd House
102 East Third Street ,1912 - 1948
The Dr. Elmer and Cora Todd House is located at 102 East Third Street, Molalla, Oregon. It was built in 1912 and is in excellent condition today. The architectural style is 20th Century Craftsman Bungalow. The original doors were arts and craft. It has a recessed entry supported by cast stone columns and shingles on the gable peak. Stained interior woodwork, leaded windows and built-in bookcases decorate the interior. Today, the house is privately owned.
Dr. Todd was called a "horse and buggy doctor" and was a very well-liked doctor. His education was through Willamette University Medical School. He served the community of Molalla from 1911 until 1948, when he passed away.
A more in depth story on Dr. Todd is forthcoming in 2018.
Photo: The Dr. Elmer R. & Cora Todd House is located at 102 East Third Street in Molalla. It is one of most well preserved homes in the city today. Both the interior and exterior are in excellent condition. The house is privately owned.
Clackamas County Cultural Resource Survey, July, 1984, Building # 814, by Altire/Hayden.
Molalla Self-Guided Walking Tour, 2009, by Judith Sanders Chapman & Lois E. Helvey Ray.
The John H. & Ora Dell Vernon House
124 East Third Street,1913 - 1928
The John H. & Ora Dell Vernon House is located at 124 East Third Street, Molalla, Oregon. The architectural style is 20th Century Craftsman. Clues to the construction of the house remain on a piece of the bathroom molding. Written in pencil is "Feb 1, 1913, Bathroom. Cook and Sawyer Builders-John H. Vernon 1912 - 1913."
The first Molalla Pioneer newspaper, dated March 7, 1913, announced the move into the new house: “J. H. Vernon is the busiest man in town this week. He is moving into his fine bungalow on the corner of Third and Engle. This is one of Molalla’s fine homes of which she is proud.” Today, the house is privately owned.
John H. Vernon was born in 1880 in Polk County, Oregon. He was the son of Oregon Trail pioneers John and Serepta Beyerly Vernon. Serepta crossed the trail, by ox-team, in 1852 with her father, Martin Beyerly, Serepta’s parents settled at Eola, Polk County, Oregon and lived there for 50 years.
When John was 20 years old, he lived with his brother in Sheridan, Oregon. He listed his occupation as salesman for a drug company. By 1913, he had moved to Molalla and started a drug store named Molalla Drug Company. Around 1928, he moved to Salem, Oregon and took a job as fire warden for Association Fire Patrol. The 1940 census lists him as retired and he had moved back to Polk County, the county of his birth. John passed away in 1950.
Photo: The John H. & Ora Dell Vernon House is located at 124 East Third Street in Molalla. It is an excellent example of a Craftsman style house. The house is privately owned.
1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940 census, John H. Vernon, Ancestry.com, 2017.
Clackamas County Cultural Resource Survey, July, 1984, Building #815, by Altire/Hayden.
Molalla Pioneer Newspaper, Local & Personal Column, March 7, 1913.
Molalla Self-Guided Walking Tour, 2009, by Judith Sanders Chapman & Lois E. Helvey Ray.
The William G. & Jennie N. Masterton House
222 East Third Street, 1920 - 1937
The William G. & Jennie N. Masterton House is located at 222 East Third Street in Molalla, Oregon. The architectural style is 20 Century Vernacular/Craftsman. "W. G. Masterton" is engraved in the front sidewalk. The house is simply, quite pretty. To a woman's eye, the outside reminds one of a doll house. Today, the house is privately owned.
William G. Masterton was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1858. There he took up the occupation of his father, which was blacksmithing and horse shoeing. In 1872, he immigrated to the United States. The 1910 census shows him owning a blacksmith shop in Canby on Fourth Street. By 1914, he had started a blacksmith business in Molalla. On the 1920 Molalla census, he and Jennie are listed as living on Third Street in Molalla. By 1921, his blacksmith business had evolved into an automobile garage business.
A more in depth story of the Masterton Garage is forthcoming in 2018.
Photo: The William & Jennie N. Masterton House is located at 222 East Third Street In Molalla. Combining the two architectural styles of Vernacular and Craftsman created a very pretty house. The house is privately owned.
1900, 1910, 1920 census for W. G. Masterton, Ancestry.com, 2017
Email message from Judith Sanders Chapman advising architectural style of house. November, 2017.
Clackamas Co. Landmarks
1882. Built in the Greek Revival/Italianate style with a very ornate single bay front porch. The balcony above has cutout balustrade and bevel siding with rake and corner boards. This home has a cobblestone foundation and a most unusual cobblestone front walk constructed of native rock. William Hatchette Vaughan was the first to settle in the Molalla area and stay, arriving in Oregon in1843. He hoisted his wagon over the bluff at Oregon City and cut his way through the woods. In 1850, he fought in the Cayuse War that had been triggered by the Whitman Massacre. It was restored extensively by Champ and Maria Vaughan in the 1990s, but has since been sold.
1925. Named “Meadowbrook Maples”, Mr. Taylor was an engineer, State Senator, and founded the Molalla Pioneer. Built in the bungalow style with bevel siding, a gabled roof and the doors are rough tongue and groove with limbs fashioned into a “Z”, it has a beautiful uncoursed wall chimney constructed of native rock. It has an extension to the rear and a side milk house. The home is in excellent condition and is privately owned.
1895. This home was built for John Cuttings, probably by P Leichtweis, as his own residence. He owned a sawmill and also built other residences in the area. The home is two storied with tongue and groove siding. It has decorative patterned shingles in the front gable peak a “1895” sign. The hip roof front porch has possibly been altered.
1911. Mrs. Stipp still resides in the large 11 room house on South Molalla Avenue built by her father-in-law. The home was the second in the county to be provided with an acetylene lighting system. Built in the classic revival style with an encircling front porch, the home is original inside except for the dining area. On the property is a 40x70 barn which cost $1200 to build in 1911 and is fitted with 26 boxing and patent stanchions.
1890. This large, gracious, white two story home has been in the same family since construction and has been very well maintained. The Adams and Robbins were early Molalla settlers and this home was part of the farm complex at one time. Built in the Italianate/Queen Anne/Vernacular style, it has tongue and groove siding with patterned shingles in a gable peak. There are attractive rectangular bay windows on the west and south elevations with architrave molding. The home sits on a hill with a tremendous view.
1909 There are several interesting barns in the area but this is a favorite. A pointed arch fanlight and gabled door that were in an earlier Levi Robbins’ home of Gothic vernacular style, were incorporated into this barn. It has tongue and groove siding, a gambrel roof with sliding side wall doors.
1909. Levi Robbins and his wife Ediff Barger Robbins were from Kentucky. Robbins crossed the plains in 1852 and settled in Molalla in 1860. This home was built by their son, Willard Robbins. The home is of the classic revival style with narrow shiplap siding. It has panel and glass doors and an encircling front porch supported by Doric columns. The inside has been some what remodeled but the outside remains in original condition.
1895. This home was originally part of a farm complex of the Austins. Built in the Queen Anne style, it has tongue and groove siding and decorative shingles in the gabled peak. The home has an attractive polygonal bay window with a tend roof. It is now a rental residence and in fair condition.
1878. This exceptionally beautiful home was built in the second empire style. The roof is a bell shaped mansard with pointed arch dormers on all elevations. Siding is wide shiplap with frieze. The house is originally intact inside and well kept by the private owners. Asa and Abby Sanders arrived in Oregon in the 1850’s and purchased over half of the original land donation claim of the Mathias Sweigle in 1858. Asa was a wheat farmer and also grew fruit. He donated land for the Methodist Church. Sanders, his wife and several infants are buried in a family cemetery on the property. Sander’s daughter Mary married Charles Howard, son of Richard Howard, founder of Mulino. Mary helped found the Molalla Grange.
Clackamas County Park
In the old days, Wilhoit Springs was a lively place. Families drove their horse drawn buggies to the park and camped out of several days. the little cabins with the pointed roofs and all the other buildings are gone now, but you can still drive to the park and see the bubbling, soda spring water come out of the ground.
For more information, see clackamas.us/parks/wilhoit.html.
Wilhoit Springs Mural
Molalla City Hall Wall
117 North Molalla Aveue
Molalla, Oregon, 97038
Artist Lee Lauritzen has captured the bygone era of Wilhoit Springs Park on a large mural at Molalla City Hall. It is on an outside wall, so it can be viewed anytime.
Rosse Posse Acres, Inc.
32690 South Mathias Roa
Molalla, Oregon 97038
This attraction is open by appointment only. Rosse Posse Acres Elk Farm is a licensed and insured elk farm. The tours are guided where you can see the elk and facilities. They also have a petting zoo and gift shop. They are closed from December to the end of March. For an unusual trip, phone 503-829-7107 for an appointment. See website rosseposseacres.com/tpz.htm for more information.