1859. Horace and Julia Ann Dibble immigrated to Oregon in 1852, and grew grain, apples, and made cheese of their farm. The Dibble house is a rare example of a saltbox house in Oregon. Restoration of the house began in 1969 and is now continuing under the direction of the MAHS. The house is structured of hand sawn posts and beams and the siding is hand sawn lapped boards. Four rooms on the ground floor have been restored to their original appearance. It is the primary building of the MAHS complex, the site of Molalla’s Apple Festival.
1882. Built in the Greek Revival/Italianate style with a very ornate single bay front porch. The balcony above has cutout balustrade and bevel siding with rake and corner boards. This home has a cobblestone foundation and a most unusual cobblestone front walk constructed of native rock. William Hatchette Vaughan was the first to settle in the Molalla area and stay, arriving in Oregon in1843. He hoisted his wagon over the bluff at Oregon City and cut his way through the woods. In 1850, he fought in the Cayuse War that had been triggered by the Whitman Massacre. It was restored extensively by Champ and Maria Vaughan in the 1990s, but has since been sold.
1878. This exceptionally beautiful home was built in the second empire style. The roof is a bell shaped mansard with pointed arch dormers on all elevations. Siding is wide shiplap with frieze. The house is originally intact inside and well kept by the private owners. Asa and Abby Sanders arrived in Oregon in the 1850’s and purchased over half of the original land donation claim of the Mathias Sweigle in 1858. Asa was a wheat farmer and also grew fruit. He donated land for the Methodist Church. Sanders, his wife and several infants are buried in a family cemetery on the property. Sander’s daughter Mary married Charles Howard, son of Richard Howard, founder of Mulino. Mary helped found the Molalla Grange.
1865-9. One of the few surviving plank houses in Oregon. The plain federal style house was built by a hired carpenter. It has a well preserved interior paint and wallpaper detail. Christian FrederickVonder Ahe was an early settler and farmer in Clackamas County. He fled the politically unstable Prussia and journeyed westward to Oregon City working and saving along the way. The house was originally located halfway between Molalla and Oregon City by Mueller Road and HWY 213. The Carus post office was established in 1887 from this house. In 1972, to save the house and summer kitchen, the MAHS had it moved to its present location behind the Dibble House. It is owned by the Society.
1888. This one and a half story residence, built in the vernacular style, previously housed the oldest continuous operated library (ca. 1900-1906) in Clackamas County. Anna Lily Robbins was the founder. Robbins was a carpenter in the Molalla area and he is believed to have built the Levi Robbins residence and barn.
1895. Samuel Engle’s father William was one of the original four land donation claimers that settled the four corners of Molalla. The large two story house on South Molalla Avenue is of the classic revival style. It has narrow shiplap siding with rake and fascia boards. There is an enclosed rear porch with sun porch above and hip roof front porch.
1865. In the nineteenth century, many homes had separate buildings that were used as kitchens in the summer to help keep the main house cool during canning season, and during summer baking. Few survive today, because of the associated fire risk. The entire interior of this summer kitchen remains intact presenting a most unusual opportunity to observe at first hand a very tastefully coordinated scheme of wainscoting in alternating light and dark vertical tongue and groove boards, doors with dark painted rails and light panels, flowered wallpaper, and celling paper with elaborate boarder and corner trim. The kitchen is owned by the MAHS.
1900. Eckard was the mail carrier for the Molalla area and also operated a nursery business from his property. The barn behind the house was the satble for the horses used in mail delivery. This was the first house in Molalla to have water and electricity. Built in the classic box style with a hip roof front porch, this home is in good condition.
1913-15. William Everhart was Clackamas Country Treasurer and son of Harvey Everhart, founder of Everhart Funeral Home, and Molalla's first elected mayor in 1913. The Craftsman bungalow type home has bevel siding. A low pitched roof covers the porch. There are patterned shingles on the gabled peak side elevations.
1925. Built in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, this building still houses the original business. It is stucco with a red clay tile roof and in good condition.
1895. Built by Willard Robbins in the Gothic Revival style Featuring pointed arch windowed and a shingled bell tower. It no longer operates as a church and the original stained glass windows have been removed to the new Methodist church east of town.
1900. This home, built in the Queen Anne vernacular looks to be exceptionally well taken care of by it’s owners. It is painted a dark teal blue with white trim. The siding is beveled with corner and rake boards and has a hip roof front porch supported by turned posts with decorative brackets. There are decorative singles in the gable peak.
1926. Harvey Everhart began the undertaking business in association with his furniture store in 1913. A horse drawn funeral coach served Molalla. Business grew requiring the construction of this funeral home, still the only one in the area. It is of the English Cottage style with gunite siding beneath a clipped gable. The entry is recessed with round headed arches.
1925-1958. The building is combed brick in the Jacobethan style. The doors are Tudor compound arches of glazed terra cotta. Two medallions commemorating the Indians and statehood are located in transom of window to the left of the main entrance. It is 2.5 stories and a wing was added in 1958. The building was damaged in the 5.7 magnitude 1993 earthquake, and later razed. It was located on South Molalla Avenue where Fox Park is currently located. Some of the most iconic elements of the school are now part of the Ivor Davies Hall at MAHS.
1875-1880. This unique wood frame building, built in the vernacular style, has a very interesting history. William Adams was an early furniture maker and casket maker. Later residents were Mr. and Mrs. Duncan, who operated a drug store on the first floor in 1885. In 1895 the upper floor was used as a school and later H. Everhart operated a funeral business here. The upstairs was reportedly used as a speakeasy during prohibition. It is one of the few surviving commercial buildings that pre date the incorporation of the city in 1913.
It now houses a beauty salon and residence.
1913. This building was the first in Molalla designed to be fireproof, located on the southeast corner of Main and Molalla, the four corners of Molalla. It is in pictures taken during the 1913 celebration of the first train arrival in Molalla. It is a stucco building in the Temple front form of classical architecture so popular in the early 20th century. Now it is a rental business.
1925. Named “Meadowbrook Maples”, Mr. Taylor was an engineer, State Senator, and founded the Molalla Pioneer. Built in the bungalow style with bevel siding, a gabled roof and the doors are rough tongue and groove with limbs fashioned into a “Z”, it has a beautiful uncoursed wall chimney constructed of native rock. It has an extension to the rear and a side milk house. The home is in excellent condition and is privately owned.
1895. This home was built for John Cuttings, probably by P Leichtweis, as his own residence. He owned a sawmill and also built other residences in the area. The home is two storied with tongue and groove siding. It has decorative patterned shingles in the front gable peak a “1895” sign. The hip roof front porch has possibly been altered.
1911. Mrs. Stipp still resides in the large 11 room house on South Molalla Avenue built by her father-in-law. The home was the second in the county to be provided with an acetylene lighting system. Built in the classic revival style with an encircling front porch, the home is original inside except for the dining area. On the property is a 40x70 barn which cost $1200 to build in 1911 and is fitted with 26 boxing and patent stanchions.
1890. This large, gracious, white two story home has been in the same family since construction and has been very well maintained. The Adams and Robbins were early Molalla settlers and this home was part of the farm complex at one time. Built in the Italianate/Queen Anne/Vernacular style, it has tongue and groove siding with patterned shingles in a gable peak. There are attractive rectangular bay windows on the west and south elevations with architrave molding. The home sits on a hill with a tremendous view.
1909 There are several interesting barns in the area but this is a favorite. A pointed arch fanlight and gabled door that were in an earlier Levi Robbins’ home of Gothic vernacular style, were incorporated into this barn. It has tongue and groove siding, a gambrel roof with sliding side wall doors.
1909. Levi Robbins and his wife Ediff Barger Robbins were from Kentucky. Robbins crossed the plains in 1852 and settled in Molalla in 1860. This home was built by their son, Willard Robbins. The home is of the classic revival style with narrow shiplap siding. It has panel and glass doors and an encircling front porch supported by Doric columns. The inside has been some what remodeled but the outside remains in original condition.
1895. This home was originally part of a farm complex of the Austins. Built in the Queen Anne style, it has tongue and groove siding and decorative shingles in the gabled peak. The home has an attractive polygonal bay window with a tend roof. It is now a rental residence and in fair condition.