The Vaughan Residence

1882.  Built in the Greek Revival/Italianate style with a very ornate single bay front porch.  The balcony above has cutout balustrade and bevel siding with rake and corner boards.  This home has a cobblestone foundation and a most unusual cobblestone front walk constructed of native rock.  William Hatchette Vaughan was the first to settle in the Molalla area and stay, arriving in Oregon in1843.  He hoisted his wagon over the bluff at Oregon City and cut his way through the woods.  In 1850, he fought in the Cayuse War that had been triggered by the Whitman Massacre.  It was restored extensively by Champ and Maria Vaughan in the 1990s, but has since been sold.


The Taylor Residence

1925. Named “Meadowbrook Maples”, Mr. Taylor was an engineer, State Senator, and founded the Molalla Pioneer.  Built in the bungalow style with bevel siding, a gabled roof and the doors are rough tongue and groove with limbs fashioned into a “Z”, it has a beautiful uncoursed wall chimney constructed of native rock.  It has an extension to the rear and a side milk house.  The home is in excellent condition and is privately owned.


Thaddeus & Helen Stipp House

1911.  Thaddeus Stipp built this 11 room house on North Molalla Avenue in 1911.  The home was the second in the county to be provided with an acetylene lighting system.  Built in the classic revival style with an encircling front porch, the home is original inside except for the dining area.  On the property is a 40x70 barn which cost $1200 to build in 1911 and is fitted with 26 boxing and patent stanchions.


The George & Kate Robbins Adams Residence

1890. This large, gracious, white two story home has been in the same family since construction and has been very well maintained.  The Adams and Robbins were early Molalla settlers and this home was part of the farm complex at one time.  Built in the Italianate/Queen Anne/Vernacular style, it has tongue and groove siding with patterned shingles in a gable peak.  There are attractive rectangular bay windows on the west and south elevations with architrave molding.  The home sits on a hill with a tremendous view.


The Robbins Barn

1909  There are several interesting barns in the area but this is a favorite.  A pointed arch fanlight and gabled door that were in an earlier Levi Robbins’ home of Gothic vernacular style, were incorporated into this barn.  It has tongue and groove siding, a gambrel roof with sliding side wall doors.


The Levi Robbins Residence

1909. Levi Robbins and his wife  Ediff Barger Robbins were from Kentucky.  Robbins crossed the plains in 1852 and settled in Molalla in 1860.  This home was built by their son, Willard Robbins.  The home is of the classic revival style with narrow shiplap siding. It has panel and glass doors and an encircling front porch supported by Doric columns.  The inside has been some what remodeled but the outside remains in original condition.


William D. & Lucinda Adams House

1895. This home was originally part of a farm complex of the Austins.  Built in the Queen Anne style, it has tongue and groove siding and decorative shingles in the gabled peak.  The home has an attractive polygonal bay window with a tend roof.  It is now a rental residence and in fair condition.


The Sanders Residence

1878.  This exceptionally beautiful home was built in the second empire style.  The roof is a bell shaped mansard with pointed arch dormers on all elevations.  Siding is wide shiplap with frieze.  The house is originally intact inside and well kept by the private owners.  Asa and Abby Sanders arrived in Oregon in the 1850’s and purchased over half of the original land donation claim of the Mathias Sweigle in 1858.  Asa was a wheat farmer and also grew fruit.  He donated land for the Methodist Church.  Sanders, his wife and several infants are buried in a family cemetery on the property.  Sander’s daughter Mary married Charles Howard, son of Richard Howard, founder of Mulino.  Mary helped found the Molalla Grange.


The Samuel & Nancy Engle Residence

1895. Samuel Engle’s father William was one of the original four land donation claimers that settled the four corners of Molalla.  The large two story house on South Molalla Avenue is of the classic revival style.  It has narrow shiplap siding with rake and fascia boards.  There is an enclosed rear porch with sun porch above and hip roof front porch.


Wilhoit Springs

Clackamas County Park

In the old days, Wilhoit Springs was a lively place.  Families drove their horse drawn buggies to the park and camped out of several days.  the little cabins with the pointed roofs and all the other buildings are gone now, but you can still drive to the park and see the bubbling, soda spring water come out of the ground.

For more information, see

Wilhoit Springs Mural

Molalla City Hall Wall

117 North Molalla Aveue

Molalla, Oregon, 97038

Artist Lee Lauritzen has captured the bygone era of Wilhoit Springs Park on a large mural at Molalla City Hall.  It is on an outside wall, so it can be viewed anytime.

Rosse Posse Acres, Inc.

32690 South Mathias Roa

Molalla, Oregon 97038

 This attraction is open by appointment only. Rosse Posse Acres Elk Farm is a licensed and insured elk farm.  The tours are guided where you can see the elk and facilities.  They also have a petting zoo and gift shop.  They are closed from December to the end of March.  For an unusual trip, phone 503-829-7107 for an appointment.  See website for more information.

Website design by


Contact us!