Introduction to the Clackamas County Landmarks Self-Guided Tour

 

By Gail J. McCormick

September 1, 2018

 

This group of buildings is a list of Clackamas County Landmarks that are under the Molalla Area Historical Society’s care.  The boundary they service is the same as the Molalla Area School District boundary.  The areas served are Molalla Rural, Mulino, Union Mills, Liberal, Dickey Prairie, Marquam, Yoder and Clarkes.  The list is over fifty structures and would be an incredible heritage for any community.  These are buildings that are not in the Molalla City limits.  The Molalla City buildings are a separate part of the Molalla Area Historical Society’s website.

 

It is important that you know that the list is in driving order, so, you may conduct your own self-guided tour.  It starts at the Samuel and Nancy Engle House at 32336 South Molalla Avenue, which is a couple of blocks south of the historical Dibble House.  Almost all of the buildings can be seen from the street with the exception of a few on the south side of Herman Road.  Please do not pull into the driveways or contact the owners unless they have an open business.  It is important to honor their privacy. 

 

Dave Jackson, the graphic designer for the Molalla Area Historical Societies website, and I are volunteers for this project.  It is an unfinished project that we will be working on for about another year.  On each site you will find a limited amount of information: a building photo, the historical name, the address, the historical dates of the building and the architectural style.  The complete stories will not be finished in any particular order.  Writing the complete story depends on when I am able to finish its research.  As new stories are added, you will see a link in the list below that opens the story.

 

Members of the Historical Society are also working on a photo collection to be held at the Historical Society.  Over the coming years, these photos will be available for the many descendants of these early pioneer families.  If you have photos to share, please contact me and I will make arrangements to scan your photos.  You may contact me by email at Gjmcc887@aol.com or phone 503-632-3640.  I will welcome any comments on my stories and appreciate being advised if there are any errors.

 

Thank you and enjoy the tour!

 

 

Photo:  The Clackamas County Landmark plaque that is available to the owners of these buildings.

 

 

CLACKAMAS COUNTY LANDMARKS

Molalla Rural Group

  1. The Samuel & Nancy Engle House, 32336 South Molalla Avenue, 1880 - 1902
  2. The George Henry & Flora Adeline Gregory, Jr. House, 900 North Molalla Avenue, 1927 - 1946
  3. The Asa & Abby L. Sanders House, 1007 North Molalla Avenue, 1878 - 1897
  4. The Thaddeus & Helen Stipp Farm, 29387 North Molalla Avenue, House: 1911-1951, Barn: 1909-1951
  5. The Aaron Burr Sturges Barn, 12775 Barnards Road, 1880-1883
  6. The Herman M. & Ludwika Timmer Farm, 14708 South Macksburg Road, House & Barn: 1885 - 1901
  7. The William Hatchette & Susan Mary Vaughan House*, 14902 South Macksburg Road, 1882 - 1912
  8. The Gorden & Nettie Taylor House, 17165 South Highway 211, 1925- After 1940
  9. The Levi & Ediff Robbins House, 32170 South Adams Cemetery Road, 1909 - 1933
  10. The Levi Robbins Barn, 32850 South Adams Cemetery Road, 1909 - 1933
  11. The Adams Cemetery, South Adams Cemetery Road, 1865 - Today
  12. The William D. & Lucina Adams House, 33258 South Adams Road, 1895 - 1917
  13. The George & Kate Adams House, 33726 South Adams Road, 1890 - 1930
  14. The Daniel Albright Farm #2, 14678 South Herman Road, House & Barn: 1875 - 1920
  15. The Ralph Henry & Elsie J. Sawtell Farm, 15002 South Herman Road, House & Barn: 1920 - 1938
  16. The Franklin Eli & Mabel F. Lay House, 15019 South Herman Road, 1930 – 1938
  17. The Franklin Eli Lay Barn, 15298 South Herman Road, 1917 - 1938
  18. The Charles & Mary Eliza Daugherty House, 15368 South Herman Road, 1913 - 1922
  19. The Hendershott/Kayler Farm, 15514 South Herman Road, House: 1875 - 1961
  20. The Philander J. Kayler Windmill, 15514 South Herman Road, 1905 - 1924
  21. The Frank F. & Zella Muller Farm, 15555 South Herman Road, House & Garage: 1936 - 1962
    A) The Lloyd Shaver Barn, 15555 South Herman Road, 1912 -1923
  22. The Alfred J. Sawtell Teasel Barn, 34315 South Sawtell Road, 1865 - 1901
  23. The Maple Grove School, 39214 South Sawtell Road, 1927 - Today
  24. The Sidney & Bertha Edna Cordill House, 32060 South Highway 213, 1910 - 1967
  25. The Mount Hope School, 32914 South Highway 213, 1920 - 1940
  26. The Rural Dell Community Hall, 10500 South Highway 211, 1939 - Today
  27. The Levi L. & Clarissa Lantz House, 10478 Toliver Road, 1905 - 1914

 

MULINO GROUP

  1. The Carlisle-Force House, 26570 South Highway 213, 1885 - 1906
  2. The Mulino Methodist Episcopal Church, 26552 South Milk Creek Way, 1920-
  3. The Richard R. Howard Buildings, Howard's Grist Mill* & Granary, 26401 South Highway 213,      1851 - 1866
  4. The Walter Waldorf Blacksmith Shop, 26368 South Highway 213.  1908 - 1947
  5. The Walter & Cella Waldorf House, 26362 South Highway 213, 1921 - 1947
  6. The Charles T. & Mary Howard House, 26342 South Highway 213, 1892 - 1923
  7. The Edward W. Paine House & Water Tower, 14010 South Union Hall Road, 1889 - 1903

 

UNION MILLS GROUP:

  1. The Delazon & Maude Trullinger House, 14772 South Union Mills Road, 1905 - 1935
  2. The Gabriel Trullinger Building, Union Mills Grist Mill, 14282 South Union Mills Road, 1877 - 1905

 

LIBERAL GROUP:

  1. The James Kuhn House, 28553 South Highway 213, 1930 - 1945
  2. The W. J. E. Vick Building, Liberal Store, 28565 South Highway 213, 1910 - 1917
  3. The James Officer-Leonard Heinz Farm, 12561 South Liberal Way, House-Kitchen and Dining Room-1860 - 1884, ...
             ...House-Front portion: 1885 - 1902, Barn-1860 - 1884

 

DICKEY PRAIRIE GROUP:

  1. The Dickey Prairie Store, 16560 Ramsby Road, 1925 -
  2. The Dickey Prairie School, 16897 South Callahan Road, 1928 - Today
  3. The William & Julia Staudinger House, 17386 South Callahan Road, 1910 - 1939
  4. The Gottlieb & Katherine Feyrer Farm, 32694 Dickey Prairie Road, House: 1886 – 1925, Grandmother’s House, Blacksmith Shop, Cooler, Granary, Hog Barn, Machinery Barn & Smoke House

 

MARQUAM GROUP:

  1. The Adolph Meyers Building, The Marquam Hotel, 36902 South Kropf Road, 1912 - 1931
  2. The Peter J. Ridings Building, The Marquam Store, 36880 South Highway 213, 1890 - 1902
  3. The Marquam United Methodist Church, 36972 South Highway 213, 1890 - Today
  4. The Daniel & Mary Albright Farm, 9912 South Wild Cat Road, House*: 1865 - 1892

 

YODER GROUP:  (None as of September 1, 2018)

[no entries, yet]

 

CLARKES GROUP: (None as of September 1, 2018)

[no entries, yet]

 

*On the National Historic Register.

 

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #1

The Samuel & Nancy Engle House

32336 South Molalla Avenue

1880-1902

 

Architecture: Vernacular Style with Italianate & Classic Revival Style details & a truncated roof

 

Photo #1 – The Samuel & Nancy Engle House is located at 32336 South Molalla Avenue in Molalla, Oregon. This photo is dated 1990 from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, personal photo.

 

Photo #2- Samuel & Nancy Engle. Ca. 1895.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, courtesy of the late Ed Engle.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #3

The Asa & Abby L. Sanders House

1007 North Molalla Avenue

1878 – 1897

 

Architecture:  Second Empire Style, accented by a bell-shaped mansard roof pierced by gothic-arched dormers

 

Photo #1 – The Asa & Abby L. Sanders House is located at 1007 North Molalla Avenue at Molalla, Oregon.  This view is the front of the house, which faces west.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, personal photo dated 1991.

 

Photo #2 – This view of the Asa & Abby L. Sanders House shows the north side of the house.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, personal photo dated 1991.

 

Photo #3 – The Asa & Abby L. Sanders House.  In this ca. 1890 photo, you can see the original bell-shaped mansard roof that was then sheathed in a diagonally pattern tin.  From left:  Asa Sanders, Abby Sanders, Asa’s sisters; Mary and Hannah.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, courtesy of Lorna Howard Wiley.

 

Photo #4 – Asa & Abby L. Sanders. ca. 1890.  From the Gail J. McCormick Collection, courtesy of Lorna Howard Wiley.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #4

The Thaddeus & Helen Stipp Farm

29387 North Molalla Avenue

House: 1911 – 1951, Barn: 1909 - 1951

 

House Architecture:  Four Square Craftsman Bungalow, Classic Revival Style

 

Barn Architecture: 20th Century Western Gabled Roof with Cupula

 

Photo #1 – The Thaddeus & Helen Stipp Farm is located at 29387 North Molalla Avenue, in Molalla, Oregon.  The house and barn, built in 1911 and 1909, respectively, are in good condition.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 1990 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – This marvelous early 1900’s photo of the Thaddeus Stipp barn is courtesy of the Molalla Area Historical Society.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #5

The Aaron Burr Sturges Barn

12775 Barnards Road

1880 – 1883

 

Architectural Style – 20th Century Western Barn

 

Photo #1 – The Aaron Burr Sturges Barn is located at 12775 Barnards Road in Molalla, Oregon.  It appears to be in excellent condition.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, personal photo.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #6

The Herman M. & Ludwicka Timmer Farm

14708 South Macksburg Road

House & Barn: 1885 -1901

 

House Architecture: Vernacular / Italianate

 

Barn Architecture: 20th Century Western Barn

 

Photo #1 – The Herman M. & Ludwika Timmer House is located at 14708 South Macksburg Road in Molalla, Oregon.  The house appears to be in excellent condition.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – The Herman M. Timmer Barn is in good condition and in service at this time.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photo.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #7

The William Hatchette & Susan Mary Vaughan House

14902 South Macksburg Road

1882 - 1912

 

Architecture:  19th Century Greek Revival / Italianate

 

Note:  National Landmark Status

 

Photo #1 – The William Hatchette & Susan Mary Vaughan House is located at 14902 South Macksburg Road in Molalla, Oregon.  It has been completely restored and is in excellent condition.  The house is on the National Historic Register.  Photo by Dave Jackson of Molalla.

 

Clackamas County Landmarks – Molalla Rural Group - #9

The Levi & Ediff Robbins House

32170 South Adams Cemetery Road

1909 - 1933

 

Architecture:  20th Century Classic Revival Style

Builder:  Oliver Willard Robbins

 

Photo #1 – The Levi & Ediff Robbins House is located at 32170 South Adams Cemetery Road in Molalla, Oregon.  The house appears to be in excellent condition.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 1990 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – In this ca. 1915 photo, it appears that the house is largely unchanged from the original.  The house was built by Oliver Willard Robbins for his parents.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, courtesy of the late Gena Cline.

 

Photo #3 – Levi, Sr. and Ediff Robbins.  From the Gail J. McCormick

 

Collection, courtesy of the late Gena Cline.

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmarks –Molalla Rural Group - #10

The Levi Robbins Barn #1

32850 South Adams Cemetery Road

1909 - 1933

 

Architecture:  20th Century Western Gothic Gambrel Barn

Builder:  Oliver Willard Robbins

 

Photo #1 – The Levi Robbins Barn #1 is located at 32850 South Adams Cemetery Road in Molalla, Oregon.  It appears to be in good condition today and is in service.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, personal 2018 photo.

 

Photo #2 – The Levi Robbins Barn #1 when newly built.  Noteworthy is the window over the front door which was from an earlier Robbins Gothic / Vernacular Style house.   The barn was built by Oliver Willard Robbins for his parents.  The photo also shows a clear cut timber section behind the barn that was probably cut to build it.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick

 

Collection, courtesy of the late Gena Cline.

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmarks – Molalla Rural Group - #11

Adams Cemetery

South Adams Cemetery Road

1865 – Today

The First Grave at Adams Cemetery

By Gail J. McCormick

 

Jacob (1809-1896) and his wife, Sarah Robbins (1812-1865) and their nine children traversed the Oregon Trail in 1852.  They left Indiana in March and arrived at the Barlow House in late November.  It was a long, arduous journey.  Two of their youngest children, Theodore, age 8, and Aaron, age 5, died during the journey.  One child died at a camp at the mouth of the Sandy River and the other, at the Barlow House.  The children were buried at the place where they had died.

 

On Christmas Eve, 1865, Sarah Robbins suddenly died of heart failure.  Mr. Reese, one of the neighbors, gave a plot of land for a burying place.  It was a beautiful resting place, on a hill, overlooking the Molalla River.  Sarah Robbins grave was the first placed there.  Sometime later, Jacob Robbins “had his two little sons, Theodore and Aaron, brought and laid to rest beside their mother”.  If you would like to pay your respects, you can locate their graves by turning right through the front gate, past a grove of trees, near the center of the cemetery.

 

Photo #1 – The beautiful Adams Cemetery is at the end of Adams Cemetery Road in Molalla, Oregon.  It is on a hill overlooking the Molalla River.  Most of the Oregon Trail pioneers from the Molalla area are buried here.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – Jacob and Sarah Robbins.  Photo courtesy of the Molalla Area Historical Society.  The gravestone photos are from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photos.

 

Photo #3 – “THEODORE, Son of J. & S. Robbins, died Nov 23, 1852, aged 8 years, 6 months, 17 days”

 

Photo #4 – “SARAH, wife of J. Robbins, died December 25, 1865, 53 years, 2 months, 2 days”

 

Photo #5 – “AARON, Son of J. & S. Robbins, died Nov 12, 1852, aged 5 years, 3 months, 6 days”

 

Bibliography:

“History of Jacob Robbins & Sarah Spillman”, by Harvey Robbins, Unpublished Manuscript, 1921

“Oregon Trail Trek” by Harvey Robbins, Page 135, Our Proud Past, V. I, by Gail J. McCormick, 1992

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #12

The William D. & Lucina Adams House

33258 South Adams Road

1895 - 1917

 

Architecture:  19th Century Queen Anne Style

Builder:  George Adams

 

Photo #1 – The William D. & Lucina Adams House is located at 33258 South Adams Road in Molalla, Oregon.  The architecture is the beautiful Queen Anne Style.  The home, at this time is in poor to good condition.  George Adams built the house for his parents during their elder years.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – William D. & Lucina Adams.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Clackamas County Landmarks – Molalla Rural Group - #13

The George & Kate Adams House

33726 South Adams Road

1890 - 1930

 

Architecture:  19th Century Italianate, Queen Anne, Vernacular Style

Builder:  William A. Hungate

 

Photo #1 – The George & Kate Adams House is located at 33726 South Adams Road in Molalla, Oregon.  In this 1990s photo the house appears to be in excellent condition.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 1990 personal photo.

 

Photo #2 – In this 2018 photo, the house appears to be the same excepting a change to metal roofing.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection, 2018 personal photo.

 

Photo #3 – George & Kate Adams.  Photo from the Gail J. McCormick Collection.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

 

Clackamas County Landmark - Molalla Rural Group - #14

The Daniel Albright Farm #2

14678 South Herman Road

House & Barn: 1875 - 1920

 

House Architecture: Vernacular

Barn Architecture: 19th Century Western Barn

Builder: House – Cyrus Hendershott

 

Photo #1 – The Daniel Albright Farm #2 is located at 14678 South Herman Road in Molalla, Oregon.  You cannot see the buildings from the road but the present owners do have a business called Stoller Farms.  Check their website and call first to make sure they are open.  This photo of the house is from the 1984 Clackamas County Resource Study.

 

Photo #2 – The 19th Century Western Style barn is stated to have hand hewn beams, dowel and pegs and square nails.  The photo is from the 1984 Clackamas County Resource Study.

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

 

 

 

Clackamas County Landmark – Molalla Rural Group - #15

The Ralph H. & Elsie J. Sawtell Farm

15002 South Herman Road

House & Barn:  1920 - 1938

 

House Architecture:  Craftsman Bungalow Style

Barn Architecture:  20th Century Western Gambrel Barn: “The Gambrell barn is one of two high-style barns in the Molalla area.  It followed the state-of-the-art farm technology developed by the most advanced agricultural colleges of the day.  The barns incorporated the mechanized system for animal husbandry, including automatic watering bowls and power hayfork lifts.  Architectural elements include the twin hipped roof cupolas, which vent the upper floor, and the cross-braced side-wall sliding door, which is sheltered by a double-hipped wall dormer.  A Palladian-like set of windows in the wall dormer illuminates the upper floor.”  From the Clackamas County Resource Study #859.

 

Photo #1 – The Ralph Henry & Elsie J. Sawtell Farm is located at 15002 South Herman Road in Molalla, Oregon.  The house is a modest version of the Craftsman Bungalow Style.  Originally, it had wood shingle siding and a broad front porch.  Photo from the Clackamas County Resource Study, 1984.

 

Photo #2 – The Ralph Henry Sawtell barn, built in 1920, is one of most well preserved in the area.  Photo from the Clackamas County Resource Study, 1984.

 

Photo #3 – Ralph Henry Sawtell.

Photo #4 – Elsie J. Sawtell

 

@ 2018 Gail J. McCormick

 

Website design by

Donate

Contact us!